Monday, July 14, 2014

Ryu caps first half with a win

Southpaw Hyun-Jin Ryu bounced back from a shelling in Detroit with a two-hitter through six innings yesterday as the Dodgers took three of four from the Padres to end the first half with a one game lead in the NL West.
Ryu (10-5) and relievers Brandon League, J.P. Howell and Kenley Jansen posted the 12th shutout of the year at the break, the most the Dodgers have seen since 1989.
All-Star Dee Gordon scored the only run in the sixth when he singled off Tyson Ross, stole second despite a pitchout and scored when fellow All-Star Yasiel Puig singled to center.
Ryu had 10 strikeouts and admitted the poor outing in Detroit got his attention.
"It was definitely a wake-up call," said Ryu. "Last time I was very forgettable, so I came out today very focused in, and I tried to just remember the basic things I need to do. Specifically, I really had command of my breaking balls today. I was able to get ahead of the count to a lot of players, and that led to a lot of strikeouts." 
At 54-43, the Dodgers have the best record in the National League after going 21-12 since June 9 to erase a 9.5 game deficit in the standings to catch and pass San Francisco.
After the All-Star break, the Dodgers hit the road for a nine-game trip against St. Louis, Pittsburgh and San Francisco.





No comments:

Post a Comment