Thursday, June 8, 2017

Clayton Kershaw and memories of Little League

Clayton Kershaw pitched a gem against the Nationals yesterday, going seven strong innings and giving up only one run on three hits.

The Dodgers won 2-1 to avoid a sweep by Washington. Kershaw wasn't happy Dave Roberts pulled him after seven frames -- he wanted to go out and pitch the eighth.

Watching him protest in the dugout reminded me of when I lived in the Miami area and rooted for the Dolphins and always hated the fact that Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl. He was one of the best to ever play the game but the Dolphins couldn't get back to the promised land after his rookie season.

That's how I feel about Kershaw. He's acknowledged as the best in the game. The Dodgers have sniffed around at the World Series but haven't been able to close the deal.

They figure to contend again this year, but who knows.

When I was 11 and 12 years old I pitched for the Bell Gardens Little League All-Stars and for two years in a row we faced Downey in the first round of an extended tournament that ended in Williamsport, Pennsylvania.

Both years, I was scheduled to pitch the second game of the tournament. Randy Evans was easily the best pitcher in the league and for two years in a row I played the outfield and prayed we would play a second game.

It never happened. Downey beat us both years. The closest I came to pitching was when the manager had me warm up with our catcher, Dean Arzoian, who was a boyhood pal and a teammate on the Pirates.

I have always loved baseball and the sheer joy I had playing in Little League, Senior League and a little in high school before my heart turned to writing about the game rather than playing it.

What I would give to go back in time and face Downey in a second game of the tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment